Is It Ok to Be in a Room With Mould?

Is It Ok to Be in a Room With Mould?

Is It Ok to Be in a Room With Mould?

In the UK, more people than you think have dealt with mould at least once in their life. Aside from being an eyesore, mould has the capabilities of making your home uninhabitable, whilst also seriously damaging your health

In this blog we will be answering the question ‘Is it ok to be in a room with mould?’

To prevent mould, fresh air should constantly be introduced into your dwelling daily, as it helps to regulate temperature and reduce condensation. Introducing fresh air can be as simple as having a ventilation routine, or installing extractors or PIV systems. Almost all of this is facilitated by ducting.

I-Sells is here to provide the answers you need whilst also supplying you with all the information you need to combat mould and have a well-ventilated home.

What is mould and how does it affect people?

Mould, otherwise known as damp, is a fungus that grows on wet surfaces. Mould comes in a variety of colours: Black, Green, Brown, Grey and White. It can be difficult to identify mould by colour as it can occur in many shades. Some of the most common mould strains in the home are:

  • Black Mould – Also called Stachybotrys chartarum, Black mould is commonly found in bathrooms and wet rooms but can also occur on cold exterior walls in habitable rooms such as the bedroom or living room.
  • Cladosporium – Commonly found in bathrooms, under sinks, and around faucets but it can grow on surfaces like carpets, furniture, walls, and floors.

Mould reproduces from tiny spores. The spores float through the air and deposit on the surfaces. Under adequate temperature, moisture, and nutrient conditions, the spores can form new mould colonies.

If you have found mould in your home, you need to assess if this is your landlord’s responsibility (for example it could be from a leaking roof that needs repairing). Or if the dampness is caused by improper ventilation. To assess your options, click here.

How can mould affect my health?

Mould can severely affect your immune and respiratory system, as the spores are easily breathable and not obvious to see through the human eye. Having a mould allergy will result in you displaying the following symptoms when exposed to mould.

  • Dry, scaly skin
  • Nasal congestion
  • A cough
  • Watery eyes
  • A weakened immune system

Everyone’s symptoms may vary, but if you’re in an environment with mould and experience these symptoms, try your best to remove the mould as soon as possible.

Can any house develop mould?

Yes, any house, or building has the potential to develop mould if the area is left without any ventilation treatment and sealing of cracks and holes.

Is it ok to be in a room with mould?

Is it ok to be in a room with mould?

The answer is no. Mould doesn’t affect people instantly, but the longer you spend around it, the worse it can make you feel, especially if you have an allergy to it.

The spores of mould can easily spread through the air, and get trapped on surfaces of your furniture, and even your clothes. We personally advise not to be in a room with mould.

We understand that in some instances, this can not be helped and you have to use the room in question, so what are your options? There are a few which we will list for you.

  • Use a mould surface cleaner, or other mould treatment products if the mould returns after using this, there may be a leak in the area or inadequate insulation.
  • Contact local mould removers, they will not only assess the cause but treat it too, however, this may cost more.
  • Contact your landlord for them to make the enquires etc. If the landlord has highlighted issues like these as their responsibility in your tenancy agreement then you can legally ask them to take care of it. However, some landlords may take too long in doing this, so be careful with this, as it is not something you should leave.
  • Enquire about the ventilation, how old is it? Is it working efficiently? Ventilation helps to remove humidity in a room, if left unchecked humidity creates condensation which is the perfect breeding ground for mould.

Is my landlord responsible for mould treatment?

If you are renting a home or building, contacting the landlord is the first option. As they own the building you are living in, it is their responsibility to keep the building habitable. Though complications may occur if the mould didn’t appear prior to your rental agreement.

Even if you can easily treat it with a surface cleaner, alerting the landlord and making a record of it ensures you have brought it to their attention, thereby if the mould develops and still isn’t treated, you are within your rights to take legal action.

Some readers may find legal action a large step to take over some mould, but there are others who have seen the severity mould inflict on others. Once the severity is understood by everybody, then hopefully everyone can receive the support they need in order to not be a victim to mould.

Are there natural remedies for mould?

Are there natural remedies for mould?

Yes, though we recommend trying this method if there is a small amount of mould, or mould developing in a new area. The following method may not be effective for areas that have a mass amount of mould.

The natural remedy for mould is distilled white vinegar, its acidic nature directly attacks mould and penetrates deep to remove it. Here is the method for using distilled white vinegar.

  1. Pour the distilled white vinegar into a spray bottle
  2. Spray the affected area, making sure it is all over the mouldy area and slightly beyond it too.
  3. Leave it for an hour (There is an additional option of adding baking soda to water and spraying it 15-20 minutes before the hour is over)
  4. After at least an hour has passed, wipe the area with a cloth.

If after this, the mould hasn’t moved, this is a sign that is is deeply ingrained to the area and you may need professional help. If you’ve found that the mould has come off slightly but not completely, try using a mould surface cleaner on it.

Is mould fatal?

Mould has the potential to be fatal especially if you develop an allergy towards it. Over time, mould affects your immune system. Often, people don’t correlate the higher frequency of illness with the mould in their house, but this can be a reality.

What makes mould dangerous?

Certain moulds develop and distribute toxins known as mycotoxins (among others) there not a lot of reports of people being ill directly because of mould. Regardless it should be removed.

Even if you don’t assess mould to be a danger to health, not removing it will result in your house smelling musty, as well as looking terrible.

Invest in mould treatment today

Invest in mould treatment today

We at I-Sells endeavour to make sure our customers have all the information they need before choosing to invest in our mould solutions. Be sure to visit our blog page to gain knowledge on the wide array of factors and issues surrounding ventilation, mould, condensation, and much more.

We hope to have answered the question ‘Is it ok to be in a room with mould?’’

We understand you may have more questions, Do not hesitate to contact us for more information with regard to whatever you need our help with. If you’d like to send us an email, click here. For other contact options, see below:

Call us on 020 8463 9696

Visit us at our showroom:

*OPENING TIMES*

Monday – Friday: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm

Saturday: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm

Sunday: Closed

15 St John’s Parade

Sidcup, Kent

DA14 6ES

United Kingdom

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *